Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Trip to Corpus Christi

Today I played "hooky" from the Houston madness. I drove home (130 mi) from Houston last night, then Leo and I drove to Corpus (95 mi) this afternoon. After we attended the Open House, we turned back around and drove home, and I have to be back in Houston for an 8am meeting tomorrow. Whew! But we had a blast today. The weather was absolutely beautiful, so we drove the Miata with the top down, cranked up a little bit of Joe Cocker and a little James Taylor, and had a blast. We went to the campus of Texas A&M University at Corpus Christi (TAMUCC). I'm looking at pursing a Doctorate program at their university, so we attended a Graduate School Open House on campus today. What a beautiful campus! It sits on a small island at the south end of the ocean-front drive. The campus is relatively new, so the buildings are modern and beautiful. I can't imagine how students there get work done, however, with so many fun things to do going on around them! But...we both liked the campus, and liked the program. Texas A&M is a prestigious enough institution, even though the CC campus is definitely ranked lower. Still, it seems like the doctoral programs are small, so there is not a lot of competition for placement or for aid, and I'm guessing the support is substantial just from the number of PhDs and EdDs available in the faculty ranks. The other thing that appears to be good, at first glance anyway, is the tuition. So, while I finish up with my BS and get going on my MS, I will also be pursing acceptance into an EdD program at TAMUCC. Yikes! Can it be done? Tune in later for another episode of "As Grandma Gets an Education" and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment