Sunday, November 18, 2007

Are You a List Maker Too?

There are several things that I am addicted to, Diet Cokes, driving with the radio off, foot massages by my husband (he's very good at it) just to name a few. But I am also addicted to list making. Yes, that's right. I'm addicted to writing lists. I write them at work, I write them for school, I write them before going to the grocery store, before running errands, and sometimes I just write them to write them. I'm also afraid I've passed this nasty little habit on to my children. I might be wrong about Rachael, but I am almost positive that Rebecca is a list maker too.

There are some list makers who are famous. A visit to ToDoListBlog.com and you'll see that some people even write books of lists, and others share their lists with others at parties. I'm not that far gone, of course. Or perhaps I'm just a little less public with my lists. My latest list was written today, and surprisingly, was a list I wrote for someone else. I was working and studying, so Leo went grocery shopping for me. (Note: This is something he does a lot now.) Before he left, I made him a list. That's rather strange, now that I stop to think about it. Why would someone be compelled to write a list for someone else. You might laugh and say it's because I'm getting old, this list mania. Or perhaps because I think Leo is getting old and needed a list to work from. Well, truthfully, I've been writing lists all my life, from as far back as I can remember. There is something strangely comforting in list writing. I wonder if it is because it makes me feel just a little in control, a little organized, or a little well-planned. Whatever the case, I have obviously given into my addiction and accepted it as part of my life. Someday I'll share my ever-changing list of "Things I Want to Do Before I Die" with you. I'd love to see yours as well!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:56 AM

    Bea Hi, Howdy?

    I thought I had a rare disease. Thaks to you, now I know I don’t suffer alone.

    I never knew, making lists was a ubiquitous ailment

    I too am always making lists of things to do, ( not grocery lists though) these are almost entirely related to my work.)

    Then one day, reading through one of my lists of "things to do tomorrow" , ( 1. get T pipe welded to the chamber. 2. send template to plastic cutters for 2 pieces Perspex covers. etc ) I noticed entry number 12 which said, " make a list of pending jobs in the workshop." That made me sit up and take notice.

    That is when I discovered that I was making list of lists to make.
    Welcome to the world of list makers.
    Hope your study schedule is less arduous now.

    I already u have a list of things to do before I die. There is only one entry in the list and it looks like this
    ................................
    1. Make a list of lists to make. before I die . .
    2. .
    ................................

    Give my regards to hubby.
    Le deseo suerte es sus estudios.

    Azzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Azzy...two list makers suffering together. Perhaps we should start a club! Still, I think you have me beat with your example of making a list to make a list. But my favorite, of course, is your list of things to do before you die. I may have to adopt that one!

    ReplyDelete