Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Heading Back to Houston

Man, am I dreading this trip! But someone I know is in a real need of some place to stay for a couple of months. Their home sustained extensive damage during the storm. And since I can work some from home, and don't have to be in Houston every day, I offered up my apartment to them. Now, I have to go back and clean up the mess in order to turn it over to them.

While I haven't been able to find out anything specific about the complex (I just realized I must not be very "neighborly"!), I did find a couple of postings from individuals stating they did not receive any damage. The really big question is whether or not there is power.

So, I'm loaded up with gasoline and water, bringing some food with me, and am headed back to Houston. If I find the apartment without power, I'll turn around and head back to my sis' house in Danbury, some 40 miles away. Her home still has power, although I learned this morning that most of the town there still does not.

This cool weather is such a BLESSING after the disaster...that's for sure. I'll be sure and post an update of what I see on my trip, but hopefully I'll be home again by tomorrow night, ready to set up my home office a bit and get back to work.

P.S. Please keep my youngest, Rachael, and her family in your thoughts and prayers. She is trying to work, keep a 4 month old, 5 year old, and 8 year old while her husband is working in West Texas for the next couple of weeks. She is staying at her dad's house, where a generator gives them a few comforts, but the place is full of other "refugees" and it is really hard on them all. I'm hoping she decides to send the kids to her sister's house in Austin since it looks like they will be without power for the next few months. Gas lines are long, they can't get enough water (important for the baby!), and it's difficult for the kids to be cooped up and not go anywhere. If I lived in a finished house, I'd bring them to my place for a bit. But my place is in no condition for children. Anyway, thanks for your prayers.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:35 PM

    Good to know you weathered it out without mishap.
    I Hope Rachael can manage. I few small things around your hose in P.lavace maight make it suitable for the kids, but what about her work?
    I hope things work out without further disruptions for everyone.

    Very generous of you to offer your Houston place to the "refugees". There are still kind and helpful people around in this world. Heartening.

    Azzy

    ReplyDelete