Sunday, November 09, 2008

Another Weekend...Gone

I've got my last load of washing ready to go in now, have prepared my food for the whole week and packed the truck with all my "goodies". It's time for me to head back to Houston and it feels like I didn't even get a weekend.

Tomorrow night my sis and I are going to the University of Houston to listen to a lecture. The speaker is Thomas L. Friedman, author of The World is Flat and The Lexus and the Olive Tree, two books that I THOROUGHLY enjoyed. He is speaking about his latest book, Hot, Flat and Crowded which is not really one of my favorite topics. I'm one of those who thinks a little too much has been made of the global warming trend. Still, I disagreed to a great extent with him on other books, but found myself coming around to his way of thinking in the end, so I'm really curious how I will view this latest work. I am quite excited about seeing him in person.

I have a lot of work waiting for me in Houston as the end of the year always generates work for me. I am going to try my best to squeeze 2 months worth of work into 1 as I want to take as much of December off as I can to be with Leo. I picked up a new project as well, so it should be a hectic 4 weeks!

On Friday I head to Austin to attend another presentation along with a cocktail reception and dinner. The topic of this one is "What It Takes to Get Funding" and is part of the Alumni Conference series from UT. I'm hoping to see some of my old classmates there, so I'm really looking forward to it as well. I'll spend the night with my daughter Rebecca, then head home late on Saturday. It should be a fun weekend.

I continue to get the occasional update from Leo, but it is always short and sweet. He's doing fine, but the "new hire" honeymoon is over and he is really being put to work. I don't worry about his safety as he is in a very secure location but would still like to hear from him on a regular basis. While separation may make the "heart grow fonder", it's a heck of a way for a married couple to live!

Well, now that everyone is all caught up on my latest goings on, perhaps you'll drop in a comment or send me an email and let me know what you are up to!

No comments:

Post a Comment