Sunday, March 01, 2009

Love Letter

Most of what I receive from Leo is little tidbits about what's going on in his life. He doesn't have time for more. I did receive a lovely letter today, however. I don't feel comfortable sharing his thoughts for the world to see, but I am going to break with tradition and share mine. I don't know why, but just thought you might like to take a peek. Bea

Hi sweetheart. I think I wish you wouldn’t send me such sweet messages while you’re gone…it only makes me miss you that much more. It might sound odd to you, but I haven’t always felt this close to you.

There was a period of time when you went to your job and I went to mine and I really didn’t care what was going on in your life; mine seemed more important to me. Then when I moved back home from Brazoria, we went through a time when we were trying to learn to live together again, which was difficult at first, but somewhere along the way I started realizing how much fun that was. I moved out again in order to complete my schooling, but it was different this time. This time I was always looking forward to coming home, looking forward to spending time with you, and trying to figure out the angles that would let us spend more time together.

When you retired early, I was disappointed because we hadn’t finished the thing we really wanted to finish…the house. But within only a few weeks, I found out that the arrangement at that time, with me working, studying and keeping busy, but you taking care of things at home and being the stabilizing factor, well, that was the best arrangement yet. I miss that time so very much.

I’m not sorry that God provided this job for you in Nigeria. I know that it’s hard work for you even though I will never understand it all. But I also know that things are happening here, because of your work, that we really need to happen; things that will give us peace for the rest of our lives. You are making a big sacrifice. Well, I guess we both are even though our sacrifices are very different. But here’s the thing…we only have to make it a few months longer. The next phase of our lives will put us back into that “sweet spot” once again.

Once you are retired for good, I will be so happy, no matter where I am in the world, to have the knowledge that no matter where I go and what I do, you will still be at home waiting for me. You will still be there to rub my feet, to pick up my dirty clothes when I’ve forgotten to, to cook me home-made pizza with extra onions and jalapenos, and to be the smile I wake up to every morning and the one I go to bed to every night that I am home. And when I am not home, your heart will travel with me as mine will stay home with you and we will thrive as a couple even during periods of separation because of that. Honey, you are truly my soul-mate and as always, I am looking forward to the next big adventure with you.

I miss you more than you know, but am not as “sappy” about it as I was when you left. I know that we are both okay and that we are both depending on each other. That makes everything just fine. And when your rotation comes to an end, you can count on the fact that I will be there at the airport eagerly waiting for you to walk through that gate. Until then, I look forward to the little messages you send me throughout the day. I still respond to them—every one of them—even though I know you’re not getting them (for some reason it makes me feel a little better to send them).

Take care of yourself, honor your heritage, rely on your faith, be assured of my love, and exercise patience knowing that you will soon be home with me again. I love you so very much.

Me

No comments:

Post a Comment