Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Amaya Consulting - New Offices in Houston

Yes, that's right...my company has just opened new offices in Houston. We are located on Mercer Street, near the ExxonMobil Upstream Research Company campus where my sister Ginger works. I am sharing the office space with another individual, but am very excited about the prospects. We are in a suite that is owned by a local custom builder, and so far the rest of the suite tenants seem to be very nice.

I also bought a new computer to put in my office space and was able to find just the set-up I want with a dual screen system using two 22" monitors. The used furniture shows up tomorrow, so we will be busy establishing our new office space and setting up our computers and other components.

With a really nice office set-up at home, you're probably wondering why I would set up a Houston office as well. I have been "officing" at one of the ExxonMobil sites for years now, but over the past year the situation has changed slightly. Although I am as busy as ever with their projects, the projects are generally small and of a short duration (3 months or less) so the entities I work for don't see the value in setting me up in an office. Scrounging around for a place to work has largely been my own endeavor over the past year, and often frustrating. I decided recently that in order for me to keep doing business here in the Houston area I was definitely going to have to take care of the situation myself. So, here I am.

My office mate is someone with whom I am totally compatible and her needs for a quiet place to work part-time echo mine completely. It didn't take us long to figure out the solution, and we think we are really going to like it. Of course, only time will tell.

I'll be posting more (address, photos, notes) in the days to come, but will try not to bore you with my business details. Until then, I thought I would share a couple of website links with you. The Amaya Consulting link will take you to my company website. It is still a work in progress as I am currently trying to populate it with examples of my work. The Herries ETS website is my new adventure as I am in a joint-venture [we think it is going that way anyway] set-up with a small engineering firm in the country of Papua New Guinea. It is all very exciting at the moment as we are firmly believing that we will get a contract soon and begin our work in earnest. I can't share much more than that with you yet (you know how "start-ups" are) but will as soon as I feel comfortable doing so.

On the home front, I get a text message from Leo every night between 8:30pm and midnight. That is when he gets up on his side of the globe. It is always short, but also always sweet and gives me some level of comfort. On the silly side, I respond to the text message every single time, but Leo never gets them! We don't know if it is a problem with the connection or a problem with the set-up on one of the phones, but it is just another one of those things we just deal with. Leo does send his love to everyone though, and it KILLS him not to be able to send out proper emails (as if he would have such time for it anyway!) Keep an eye on the count-down timer to know when you can expect more missives from my sweetheart. Goodnight all.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:08 PM

    that's great, Bea! Waaaay cool! I'll go visit your site.

    ReplyDelete